SEO seems like a black hole for many marketers. Not to say it is simple, but it certainly isn't rocket science either. The goal is to be in the top 10 results of a relevant search term; this puts you on the first page of Google or other search engines. SEO rankings are all about relevancy of your site to search terms that people will use to search for products, services or information you have to offer, and then optimizxing around them. The algorithm for Google randings is not published however broadly it is thought that:
- 46% weight is given to inbound linking strategies at the page and overall domain levels
- 25% to on-page and domain optimization.
- 7% to social medialinks
- 7% brand strength
- 6% to page level traffic
- and the remaining to technical factors
SEO can broadly be broken up into in-bound link strategy and on-page SEO to cover 70% of the contributing factors.
Here are 6 easy steps to improve your SEO rankings.
1) Identify the keywords that you will optimize your site around. target around 300 terms. If you don't have a keyword tool in a system such as your lead nurturing system, then Google supplies a very good free one in Google Adwords. Usually you will be asked to identify relevant sites or keywords that will help the tool to generate related terms.
2) Go through these keywords and eliminate any that are irrelevant or too competitive. Your keyword tool will most likely provide you with a estimation of monthly global queries for each keyword term and also a rating on what is the competition for that particular term. Eliminate any which are too competitive they are not worth your time. For each keyword you optimize around you will be trying to grab that number of global searches. If a term has 50 global searches and low competition try to grab this 50; you can see how you can build traffic by going after these search terms.
3) The rule of thumb is to use a targeted keyword 3 times on a page. This is called keyword density. You should also make llinkss within your site from these keywords as you. Larger sites obviously have an advantage as they can have more text. One way key way to increase your rankings is to have a blog. Studies show that companies that blog 2+ times a week have 55% more visitors, 97% more inbound links and 434% more indexed pages. This is because you are constantly adding new content to your Website and have the opportunity to add more relevant keywords through your posts and also by writing about timely topics you are more likely to gain inbound links.
4) Another important aspect of on-page SEO is the header 1 and Title tags
5) Develop an inbound link strategy. This is the most important element of SEO of your site. Inbound links represent votes from other sites as to the value of your content. Search engines also determine the relevancy of linking sites and the value of those sites in figuring the strength of the vote your site gets. Bottom line is that this is third-party endorsement. Some good stratgies are: have your business partners, VARs, alliance members link to your site.
6) An active PR program provides relevant links coming from relevant news stories from reputable publications. So not only do articles about your company or organization get traffic from the articles themselves, but the links improve your overall vote quality.